What is the cost to build a Blackbox?
A popular (and very much relevant) question is the average cost of building a blackbox. Since we don't currently offer a full kit or assembled units, costs WILL vary by build. See the kit availability question below.
Currently stocked offerings available for shipping worldwide can be found at the KB3D Store.
Here are some figures to get you started:
- A 3-Tool Blackbox built with high quality and genuine parts from the KB3D store will cost around 2100.00USD
- A complete build including enclosure, hood, 5 tools, ETC using all genuine parts (I.E. E3D, Bondtech, Gates, Duet) will cost around 2500.00USD.
- Blackbox is very modular and serviceable. Costs can be reduced significantly using Chinese sourced parts and/or starting with just 1 or 2 tools.
- A basic build with no bells+whistles using 2 tools and Chinese parts will not likely cost less than 1400.00USD
- Check out the Features and Specs overview HERE to see how Blackbox compares to other tool-changing printers at similar price points.
This machine looks intimidating, can I build one?
Yes, but maybe. Blackbox has some new (to most) design elements that will push you to learn about systems you may not have dealt with before. In general though, the recommendations from other DIY printer build communities translate well. Those are typically as follows:
- This probably shouldn’t be your first 3D printer. There are always exceptions, but the experience you have will likely lean on your previously acquired skills from using and maintaining other machines.
- Despite our best efforts to guide you along, every machine will be different. From the quality of the printed parts to the nuances of your particular configuration. You should be comfortable with the fact that your attention to detail and where-with-all will determine the final product.
- If you’re like me, you will learn a ton, and probably pick up some new tools to make your life easier. Learning takes time, and so will your build. This is not an 8 hour build!
We have a well-established community full of friendly, helpful, and skilled members that can help you with any hurdles along the way. The documentation here at Dozuki will be your number one resource for nearly everything. Head over to the assembly guide to get your feet wet.
Can I contribute, and how?
Absolutely. Blackbox is free to the world, courtesy of Marc Schoemann (Founder) and the development team. We encourage everyone to give back to the project however possible. Here are some ideas:
- Sharing of modifications made to your machine that you think improve the experience or broaden the use case
- CAD optimization and contribution
- Bug fixes, error reporting, and feedback/suggestions
- Documentation Contribution!
- Help your peers where possible
- A small donation, or purchasing parts through our official store at KB3D.
Join the community Here
Is there a kit available for parts?
We have a growing official store at KB3D! Parts are available individually or as comprehensive kits specifically for Blackbox. We continue to work the LDO Motors, Mandala Rose Works, and other trusted community vendors to expand your options. Otherwise, we think you’ll find the BOM (Bill of Materials) very accommodating and we aim to make parts sourcing as easy as possible.
Where can I find the latest and most up-to-date information on Blackbox?
This dozuki page along with our Discord should be your destination for all announcements and official documentation. We have satellite pages all over the web in varying states of out-dated. Blackbox has been a long term project with multiple iterations to achieve refinement. We are actively working to update all other blogs/pages.